Prep 35 mins
Cook 0 mins
I'm a cheese-a-holic, so this is made a lot at my house and used in many recipes especially my chicken pot pie #273291
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 12 ounces beer (I prefer Sam Adams larger)
- 2 cups chicken broth (or canned 15 oz.)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups half-and-half cream (or 1 cup skim milk and)
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons flour or 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 cups popped popcorn (optional)
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot. Add carrot, onion, garlic and saute.
- untill tender.
- Add beer, chicken broth and worcestershire sauce, bring to a boil and cook.
- for a couple of minutes.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the half and half and the cheese to the soup, simmer uncovered until the cheese melts.
- Mix the flour (or cornstarch) and water together, add to the soup stirring constantly until the soup is thickened (a few minutes).
- Sounds a bit strange, but this is great topped with popped popcorn.
- Broccoli may be substituted for the carrot.
very very tasty and easy! I misread the 1 Tbsp butter, used 1 stick of butter instead, that made it very buttery, but still very good. I will make it again.
This is a wonderful soup! I made as directed, but used smoked cheddar, and a couple of grindings of pepper. Thank you Cooking202 for sharing. DH gave his last beer to make this soup! That was a big sacrifice for him...lol I did serve it with the popcorn. Who would have thought!!! I made this for Alphabet Soup tag game.