I'm a cheese-a-holic, so this is made a lot at my house and used in many recipes especially my chicken pot pie #273291
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 12 ounces beer (I prefer Sam Adams larger)
- 2 cups chicken broth (or canned 15 oz.)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups half-and-half cream (or 1 cup skim milk and)
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons flour or 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 cups popped popcorn (optional)
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot. Add carrot, onion, garlic and saute.
- untill tender.
- Add beer, chicken broth and worcestershire sauce, bring to a boil and cook.
- for a couple of minutes.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the half and half and the cheese to the soup, simmer uncovered until the cheese melts.
- Mix the flour (or cornstarch) and water together, add to the soup stirring constantly until the soup is thickened (a few minutes).
- Sounds a bit strange, but this is great topped with popped popcorn.
- Broccoli may be substituted for the carrot.