Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A decadent dish with a taste of the tropics. For special occasions or whenever you need a Caribbean vacation.
- 907.18 g medium shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 236.59 ml onion, finely chopped
- 59.14 ml butter
- 59.14 ml flour
- 177.44 ml cream of coconut (Coco Lopez)
- 591.47 ml half-and-half
- 14.79 ml curry powder (or more to suit your taste)
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml fresh ginger, finely grated
- 59.14 ml fresh lemon juice
- cilantro (to garnish) (optional)
- chopped macadamia nuts (to garnish) (optional)
- hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, add butter, onions and ginger -- cook until tender. Stir in flour; gradually adding half and half - whisk until smooth. Add cream of coconut, curry, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until thickened. Add lemon juice, reduce heat and simmer uncovered 20 minutes. Add shrimp and cook 5-10 minutes (just until shrimp are pink - don't over cook). Serve over rice and garnish with cilantro. You could add some chopped macadamia nuts on top as well.
We did like this ... I stuck to recipe, (was generous with the curry powder, a roasted garam masala, perhaps that made the difference). I do enjoy a creamy curry, for us this worked well. ssadly my photo is not a good reflection of how good this recipe was, but truly, I will make this again. Thank you Nancy, made and enjoyed for ZWT9, Hot Pink Panthers On The Prowl.
I wanted to love this recipe as it has so many ingredients in it that are favorites, but I found the coconut cream way too sweet and it dominated the whole thing. I ended up adding garlic, more lemon, lime juice, rum and a little hot sauce to get past the sweetness. The cilantro and curry added nice zip but still it lacked something. I wonder if this was made with unsweetened coconut cream if the result would be improved. My other issue was with how thick the sauce was. I made it with half of the half and half and half whole milk, I ended up adding more whole milk and then non fat milk to thin it out so that it would be creamy/saucy but not thick, maybe just the cream and no flour would solve this problem. Sorry it didn't work out for us. Made for ZWT 9