Caribbean Vegetarian Curry
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
- Ready In:
- 2 cups rice
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, peeled,quartered
- 3 bananas
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely grated lemons, rind of
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1 cup yogurt
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup peanuts, chopped
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- As rice cooks refrigerate cooked eggs for later use.
- Cut bananas in half lengthwise, then in half crosswise, making 12 pieces total.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Melt half the butter (reserve remainder).
- Sauté bananas until lightly browned on both sides for about 4 minutes.
- Set bananas aside in a covered dish and hold warm.
- Melt remaining butter over medium heat.
- Sauté onion, apple and garlic until tender (about 4 minutes).
- Stir in curry, lemon peel, ginger, coriander, turmeric and red pepper flakes and toss until evenly coated.
- Add black-eyed peas, kidney beans, vegetable stock and raisins.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes, until thoroughly heated.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in yogurt until well mixed.
- Place cooked rice on a serving platter.
- Arrange reserved banana pieces on platter.
- Spoon bean mixture over top.
- Garnish with egg wedges, radish, green onion, cilantro and peanuts.
- Serve immediately.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION