Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This side or a vegetarian main is loaded with flavor and texture. I made this in a rice cooker if you Add more water will increase the cooking time and produce softer rice; reducing the amount of water will produce firmer rice. But once you've found the ratio that's right for you, it'll be very easy to have perfect rice your way. Yes you can make stove top as well. Be sure not to remove the lid till done cooking.
- 1 cup white rice, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground jamaican jerk spice, Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro or 1⁄4 cup parsley
- 1 sprig thyme, stem discarded
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup finely diced sweet potato
- 1⁄3 cup toasted coconut
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1⁄3 cup diced red pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup vegetable broth, to cover rice
- lime slice
- Put aside 1 tablespoon scallions and 1 teaspoon coconut for garnish.
- Place all the rest ingredients in rice cooker. Pour broth 3/4 inch above the level of the rice.
- Press the cook button.
- When done fluff with fork place in a serving dish and top with reserved coconut and scallions place lime along side for garnish and use as wanted.
Very yummy and very easy to make with a rice cooker. Just chop it all up and drop it in the rice cooker.
I must admit I'm not a big fan of our rice cooker, and have never thought to use it this way. So thanks Rita for such a great, easy recipe! I guess I'll be pulling it out more often. I was also drawn to this recipe because it's very low fat! I used "Jamaican Jerk Seasoning" for the spice. It certainly wasn't bland, and I'd caution using juice instead of broth as one reviewer mentioned, only because we found it sweet as it was. I used veg broth and brown rice. Unfortunately had to sub parsnip for the sweet potato - still great. I doubled the broth per the other review, but it still wasn't enough - ended up using 4 cups of broth (!). Might be because my rice cooker is an older model large one. So I really should have just used enough broth to go 3/4" over the rice as written in the directions and ignored the cup measurement. Next time! Made for ZWT 5 (Cooks w/Dirty Faces Team).
I will have to make this again!! Used brown rice, so I doubled the broth. no raisins, and a few tbsp coconut milk. DELISH!! Used Jamaican Jerk Seasoning for the spice. This has me looking around for other great rice cooker recipes. Thank you so much for posting. Made for ZWT 5.