Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From 1001 Low Fat Vegetarian.
- 1 cup skim milk
- 4 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped dried pears
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom or 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Mix milk, margarine and egg in a medium bowl.
- Add flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder and salt, mixing just until moistened.
- Gently mix in pears and orange zest.
- Spoon batter into 12 greased muffin cups; sprinkle with remaining sugar and cardamom.
- Bake at 400 until muffins are browned, about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.