Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Delicious holiday mixture, perfect for gift giving...if you can stop eating it long enough to give! Recipe came from Good Housekeeping website.
- 20 cups microwave popcorn, popped, I use no butter, no salt variety-2 bags (2.9 to 3 ounces each)
- 1 (12 ounce) jar dry roasted salted peanuts (2 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup butter (no substitutions)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- •Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Lightly grease two cookie sheets or spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place popped corn in VERY large bowl; discard any unpopped kernels. Add peanuts; toss to combine. Set aside.
- •In 3-quart saucepan, heat butter, sugars, and corn syrup on medium until butter melts and sugars dissolve, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently with metal spoon or heat-safe spatula. Increase heat to medium-high and heat to boiling, about 3 minutes; boil 3 minutes longer. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in baking soda (mixture will bubble vigorously), and pour over popcorn mixture in bowl. Stir immediately; continue stirring until all popcorn is evenly coated.
- •Divide popcorn mixture between prepared cookie sheets; spread evenly. Place pans on 2 oven racks. Bake popcorn mixture 45 minutes, rotating pans between upper and lower racks halfway through baking and stirring occasionally.
- •Cool popcorn mixture completely in pans on wire racks, about 1 hour. Break apart any large clusters of popcorn when cool. Store in tightly sealed containers at room temperature up to 2 weeks.