Beef Shank & Barley Soup
photo by Torachef 1997
- Ready In:
- 24hrs 40mins
- 3 beef shank, cross cuts 1 inch thick (2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 5 large carrots, cut in bite-sized pieces
- 5 celery ribs, bite-sized
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3⁄4 lb small mushroom
- 3⁄4 cup barley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess moisture
- In 8 quart Dutch oven in hot oil, brown beef shanks on both sides. Remove to a plate.
- In pan drippings, cook carrots, celery, onions and mushrooms until lightly browned.
- Cut meat from bones into bite-sized pieces and return meat AND bones to Dutch oven.
- Add barley, salt, oregano, pepper, bouillon cubes, and 11 cups of water.
- Heat to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours until beef and barley are tender.
- Discard bones, skim fat from liquid.
- Add spinach to pot, bring back to boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I found myself with beef shanks in the freezer (after purchasing a quarter beef several months ago) - had mushrooms from a big sale - and found this recipe! It is a hearty soup, but pretty healthy in content and with a very mild flavor. I think some will find it lacking in seasoning, so you may wish to adjust - we prefer un-spicy things, so it was fine for us. Do NOT skip the step of skimming the fat off - the shanks generate a lot of fat and it must be removed. I did that at the second serving (brain cramp the first time) and lost some veggies and spinach when skimming late. I will make this one again.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
One of the old time founding members of Recipezaar. I live in Port Orchard, Washington. I LOVE to cook and bake nearly everything! I HATE to see people join the site, have no published recipes, but rag on another cook in a review on a recipe they haven't even tried or didn't follow. Oh, and I hate cilantro, too. :)