Prep 20 mins
Cook 13 mins
Growing up in the Boston area, a Saturday night favorite at restaurants was Baked Stuffed Shrimp. This dish is light and delicious and the trick is to bake the shrimp in a glass pie dish, not on a dark cookie sheet -they come out much more juicy. Also, I added a little Marsala for sweetness - but I guess Sherry would do. Be sure to use only Ritz brand crackers and not the low fat variety or the taste will be greatly compromised.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs jumbo shrimp, cleaned and deveined, tails left on
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 stalk celery, diced fine
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 60 Ritz crackers, crushed, do not substitute
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons marsala wine or 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- paprika (to garnish)
- fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a small skillet, heat 1 tablespoons butter and saute the celery and garlic for 3-4 minutes on low heat. Do not brown.
- Transfer to a small bowl.
- Crush the crackers with your hands in a plastic bag until just coarse and add to the bowl with the celery.
- Stir in the melted butter, lemon juice, parsley, wine or chicken broth and ground pepper.
- The mixture should be barely wet, enough to hold together. But if too wet add more Ritz crackers, or if too dry add a little more broth.
- Cut almost through the center of each shrimp and flatten out cut side up, pointing the tail section up.
- Spray a glass pie dish with butter spray before placing shrimp on it. Then spray each shrimp with butter spray.
- With your hands mound some of the stuffing and place it on each shrimp.
- Sprinkle with just a little bit of paprika, Don't overdo it.
- Bake at 375F for 12 minutes, then place under broiler for 1 minute to brown top lightly.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
This was really delicious. My only complaint is that the directions tell you to "saute the celery and garlic for 3-4 minutes". However, garlic is not listed in the ingredients. How much garlic?? I just winged it and it came out fine but that should be corrected in the recipe.
I added crabmeat to the recipe!
These stuffed shrimp are truly superior. I followed the recipe exactly as posted, except I sprinkled a little fresh-squeezed lemon juice over the shrimp before baking. Butterflying the shrimp was a little time-consuming (I had 38 shrimp in all to do) but the rest of the recipe went fairly quickly. I will definitely be making this again! Thanks for sharing. Made for Spring PAC 2012.