Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
Fresh homemade blueberry pie filling you canned yourself.
Top Review by jturneraok40
I picked blueberries for 2 hours, cleaned stems for another hour. Thought the recipe was different from any other canning I'd done due to very short cooking time and very long processing time but I went with it. The syrup was VERY thin and runny, the recipe neglected to inform of amount of air/fill space to leave at the top so I had to guess. Thus almost none of the jars sealed properly. STAY AWAY FROM THIS ONE!
- 4 1⁄2 quarts blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup bottled lemon juice
- 1 lemon, rind of, cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon mace
- 5 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 6 1⁄2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean the blueberries carefully and drain.
- Combine the lemon juice, lemon rind, nutmeg, mace, sugar, and water; cook until the mixture begins to boil.
- Fold in the blueberries and cook 1 minute more.
- Ladle mixture into hot jars. Release the air bubbles by running a knife along the side.
- Clean the rims of the jars, seal, and process in a water bath for 30 minutes.