1/1 Photo of Calabacitas Cheese Soup
Donna H's Note:
I've also prepared this in my crock pot, add everything except the Velveeta and cilantro. Cook on low for 4-5 hours adding the Velveeta and cilantro during the last 30 minutes so it has a chance to melt. You can also substitute a can of Rotel tomatoes for the stewed tomatoes if you prefer it spicy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 28 ounces chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can Mexican-style tomatoes (I'm guessing at the size)
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 2 medium yellow squash, sliced
- 1 (14 ounce) can corn (I'm guessing at the size)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 12 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- cilantro, to taste
- 1Saute onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- 2Add oregano, chicken broth and tomatoes.
- 3Cover and bring to a boil.
- 4Stir in squash, corn and green chilies.
- 5Return to boil and simmer till squash is tender.
- 6Stir in Velveeta, salt, pepper and cilantro.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Calabacitas Cheese Soup
Serving Size: 1 (297 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 238.7
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 33.6 mg
- Sodium 1331.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 12.5 g