HEARTY BEEF AND VEGETABLE SOUP
photo by Smoky Okie
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 30mins
4 1/2 gallons
- 8 lbs chuck steaks, cut into 1 inch x 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 gallons beef stock, i use superior touch 8tbs beef flavor and 4 tbs vegetable flavors
- 3 lbs frozen mixed vegetables
- 12 stalks celery, chopped
- 5 large onions, chopped
- 3 (12 ounce) cans whole kernel corn
- 1⁄2 gallon v 8 juice
- 8 ounces pearl barley
- 3⁄4 cup Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon ground marjoram
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground thyme
- 2 (12 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- In heavy skillet, brown meat in butter. DO this in one pound batches for better browning. Deglaze with stock between batches if necessary.
- Place all ingredients except the frozen vegetables and 4 oz of the pearl barley in 4 1/2 gallon counter top roaster.
- Heat on high covered until boiling, remove cover and reduce heat to 250°.
- Simmer for 2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Add frozen vegetables and remainder of barley and simmer for another hour.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!