Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an easy never fail recipe. You don't even use a rolling pin! Change it to suit the meal you are serving them with - add 2 tbsp parmesan cheese and a bit of basil & oregano, try 1 tsp grated orange peel, or just before baking sprinkle the top with cinnamon & sugar Use your own imagination
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces (or use salted and leave out the salt)
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- Combine flour, baking powder& salt.
- Cut the butter into the flour using 2 knives or a pastry blender, keep cutting until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- With a fork stir in the milk, very gently, until a soft dough forms.
- Don't over mix.
- Place the dough on a baking sheet (jelly roll pan) and with floured hands press it into a 9" x 9" square.
- Use a spatula or the dull side of a knife and cut the dough into 12 biscuits without actually cutting them apart.
- Bake in 400F oven for about 15-20 minutes or until they are golden.
- Transfer to a wire rack& cool for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with homemade fruit jam or anything else that takes your fancy.
Oh my GOODNESS!!! If you've been looking for the perfect biscuit recipe----you can stop looking. These are SO good! I made them for supper tonight with a big pot of bean soup. They are very easy to make. Very quick--you can put these together and have them on the table in 25 minutes. They're light, flaky, buttery, delicious!!! Thank you for posting this recipe!
These are very good! And not only are they incredibly easy, but they come together quite fast -- perfect for a last-minute addition to a meal. My house is quite dry, so I required about 2 extra teaspoons of milk to get the mixture to come together. I baked these for the full 20 minutes; the biscuits had a lovely crunchy top and bottom, while the insides were very tender.
I used all purpose flour, but still added the salt and only a half teaspoon of baking powder, followed the recipe to a T, baked for 15 min. The most wonderful golden bisquits I have ever ate, family too, yes I did share, slap my hands. After out of the over I brushed with real butter. Perfect.