Recipe by The_Swedish_Chef
The combination of tart and tangy rhubarb with tangy buttermilk makes for a satisfying and not too sweet treat to have with a glass of milk or tea.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, stirred but not sifted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh rhubarb (or 1 cup thawed, drained rhubarb, must total 1 cup when thawed)
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1⁄3 cup salad oil or 1⁄3 cup melted shortening
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F Grease bottoms of 14 (2.5") muffin-pan cups or 11 (3") muffin-pan cups; line each of the cups with a paper liner if you prefer.
- Sift flour with sugar, baking powder, baking soda, rhubarb and salt into a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Measure buttermilk in a 2 cup measure. Add oil, grated orange and egg; eat with a fork to mix well.
- Make a well into the center of the flour mixture. Pour in milk mixture all at once; stir quickly with a fork, just until flour disappears. Do NOT beat, the batter should be lumpy!
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup (not quite full), quickly dip batter into muffin cups, filling each slightly more than half full. Dip only once for each cup.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, allow to sit for 5 minutes. Loosed muffins around edge with a knife; turn out.
- Serve hot, warm, or cool -- whatever is to your liking.