Kumquat the Cat's friend's Note:
Browned butter is the secret force in Turkish cooking, says Ms. Akin, an expert in Ottoman palace cuisine. This is from a cooking column by Melissa Clark in the 12/5 edition of the New York Times. I reduced the oil and butter (or will as soon as I make this recipe). Use 1 and 4 tablespoons, respectively, if you'd prefer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 3/4 cups bulgur (coarse)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 1 cup chestnuts (roasted, sold in jars, or cans)
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon tangerine zest (grated) or 1/2 teaspoon orange zest (grated)
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon ground turkish red peppers (Aleppo or Urfa) or 1/8-1/4 teaspoon mild chili powder
- ground cinnamon, for garnish
- 1 small fresh dill sprig, for garnish
- 1Heat oil with 1 teaspoon butter in a 3 quart saucepan. When butter melts, add onion and saute until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add bulgur and allspice, and saute for 2 minutes longer.
- 2Stir in the broth, chestnuts and raisins, and bring to a vigorous boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and let cook until bulgur is tender, all liquid is absorbed and there appear to be holes or "eyes" (when it looks at you, it's done) in the surface of the bulgur, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- 3Turn off heat, place a clean dish towel or paper towel between top of pot and lid, and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes longer.
- 4Meanwhile, melt remaining butter in a small skillet. When white foam falls to the bottom of the pan and starts to smell nutty (about 3 minutes, but timing will depend on the amount of butter you use), add zest and red pepper. Cook for 30 seconds longer, then turn off heat.
- 5To serve, mound pilaf onto a platter and drizzle butter and red pepper mixture on top. Sprinkle with cinnamon and garnish with dill.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bulgar Pilaf With Chestnuts and Spicy Tangerine Brown Butter
Serving Size: 1 (67 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 278.9
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 32.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.9 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 8.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh dill sprigs