Turkish Leeks in Olive Oil
From "The Complete Book of Turkish Cooking". The author suggests serving this dish cold with lemon juice.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 2 lbs leeks
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small carrots, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons uncooked rice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- Trim leeks and remove a few of the outer layers.
- Slice 3/4" thick, discard tough green leaves.
- Wash leeks well in several changes of water.
- In a heavy skillet, heat olive oil.
- Stir in leeks and carrots.
- Cover and cook very gently (low heat) for 30 minutes, shaking the skillet occasionally.
- Blend in the remaining ingredients in order.
- Cover and simmer for another 30 minutes, checking the liquid and adding more water, if necessary.
- When fully cooked, it should be very moist but not watery.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation