Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Easy side dish. Serve over rice.
Make and share this Broccoli Supreme recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- cooked rice, hot
- soy sauce
- Cook broccoli, 5 minutes, drain and set aside. Saute mushrooms and onion in 2 tablespoons butter until onion is tender; set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Add salt, pepper and cheese; stir until cheese melts. Stir in mushroom mixture.
- Place broccoli in a lightly greased 1 1/2 quart casserole. Top with sauce, and bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Serve over rice; sprinkle with soy sauce.
This is very much like the broccoli rice casserole served at lots of holiday meals, except it is much healthier and tastier! No cream of any thing soups involved, yet it still is very rich and creamy. I halved the recipe, and found that I needed a bit more broccoli, probably my fault in measuring. Might need to increase the broccoli a bit. I didn't add the soy sauce, I found it was already salty enough. This is a very yummy recipe that I'll make again.....a great twist on the traditional white sauce. Thanks for posting and sharing with us!
This was a very nice broccoli dish. I liked that the broccoli and sauce were layered and served over rice so that each person could determine their own proportion of broccoli to sauce to rice. The sauce was tasty and browned nicely, but it did need the soy sauce to pick up the flavor. Next time I might add the soy to the sauce before baking. Made for PAC Spring 2010.