Recipe by English_Rose
This healthy broccoli and pasta soup produces a wonderful broth. It's low in calories, full of flavour, and very cheap to make – a recipe that won't hurt your waistline or your wallet.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 red onions, finely diced
- 2 sticks celery, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can italian-syle peeled tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 5 1⁄4 cups vegetable broth, hot
- 1 lb broccoli, cut into florets
- salt and pepper
- 3 ounces macaroni (or other small pasta)
- 16 fresh basil leaves
- parmesan cheese, grated to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a low heat. Add the garlic, onions, celery and carrot. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt, cover and sweat down for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Squish the tomatoes in a colander so that you have a pulp and no juices. Add to the pot with the tomato paste, vinegar, sugar, broth and broccoli. Bring to a simmer and cook gently, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to packet instructions. Drain and stir into the soup along with the basil. Season to taste.
- Divide between bowls. Put the Parmesan on the table so that people can help themselves.