Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
My mother used to make this all the time. It's a recipe that's been passed down the German side of my family for many generations, and we've all put our own spin on it over time. Feel free to add your own, too. Use a beer you like to drink, or leave out the sugar and use apple cider, if you prefer.
- Brown sausages and onion slices in oil in a wide skillet. The sausages do not need to be cooked through at this stage, you just want to get some color on them.
- Add sauerkraut, sugar, and beer. Stir as best you can around the sausages.
- Bring to a slow boil, reduce heat, and simmer until sausages are cooked through.
- Spread buns or rolls with mustard, and add a sausage and a bit of the sauerkraut and onion to each.
- This is great accompanied by the same beer you cooked with.
Superb! These were excellent brats and the sauerkraut, onions and beer complimented them perfectly.
This was easy to make and tasted very good. For grilling outdoors, browning the brats on the grill and putting them in a saucepan with the rest and heat over the grill while cooking other things makes having a variety of cookout food easy to do. Thanks for sharing! Make for ZWT6 from the Whine and Cheese Gang-