1/2 Photos of Braised Pork Chops With Sauerkraut
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 10 mins
I have been making this recipe for more years than I care to admit to. It's simple to put together and very flavorful. I usually serve with boiled potatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Melt the butter or lard in a skillet and quickly brown the pork chops on both sides. Place on platter and set aside.
- 2Arrange the bacon in the bottom of a large dutch oven or braising pan.
- 3Rinse the sauerkraut in a colander and squeeze out as much water as you can. (You can skip this step if you like a stronger flavor). Place half of it on top of the bacon.
- 4Place the sliced onions over the sauerkraut and sprinkle with 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper.
- 5Arrange the pork chops on top of the onions, and pour in any collected juices.Sprinkle with salt, pepper and the garlic.
- 6Add the rest of the sauerkraut, sprinkle with pepper and pour over as much beer as you need to cover.
- 7Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook one hour. The pot should never get completely dry.
- 8Note: I find 2 lbs sauerkraut to be enough, but if you have hearty eaters, you might want the larger quantity. I do not add additional salt.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Pork Chops With Sauerkraut
Serving Size: 1 (657 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 561.7
- Calories from Fat 249
- Total Fat 27.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.9 g
- Cholesterol 158.0 mg
- Sodium 1736.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 45.5 g