1/4 Photos of Braised Beef Pot Roast
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs sirloin, 1" thick
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or canola oil
- 2 onions, cut in eighths
- 8 carrots, cut in 2" pieces
- 4 stalks celery, cut in 2" pieces
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar, or 1 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon salt and black pepper, freshly ground
- 1Trim fat from beef. Cut a length of kitchen string about four times the length of the roast and wrap once around the length, then around width several times, tying where it comes together.
- 2In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over moderately high heat. Brown beef on all sides. Transfer to a plate.
- 3Add vegetables to pan and saute for about 7 minutes or until browned and slightly softened. Transfer to a plate.
- 4Return beef to pan. Add wine vinegar, stock, herbs, salt and pepper. Stir to blend. Cover and simmer gently about two hours, turning meat every 30 minutes.
- 5Return vegetables to pot, cover, and simmer about 15 m inutes, or until beef is very tender.
- 6Discard bay leaf. Slice meat and arrange on platter surrounded by vegetables. Serve with pot juices.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Beef Pot Roast
Serving Size: 1 (284 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 208.9
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 68.0 mg
- Sodium 291.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 26.5 g