Prep 0 mins
Cook 50 mins
- 2 lbs sirloin, 1" thick
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or canola oil
- 2 onions, cut in eighths
- 8 carrots, cut in 2" pieces
- 4 stalks celery, cut in 2" pieces
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar, or 1 cup red wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt and black pepper, freshly ground
- Trim fat from beef. Cut a length of kitchen string about four times the length of the roast and wrap once around the length, then around width several times, tying where it comes together.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over moderately high heat. Brown beef on all sides. Transfer to a plate.
- Add vegetables to pan and saute for about 7 minutes or until browned and slightly softened. Transfer to a plate.
- Return beef to pan. Add wine vinegar, stock, herbs, salt and pepper. Stir to blend. Cover and simmer gently about two hours, turning meat every 30 minutes.
- Return vegetables to pot, cover, and simmer about 15 m inutes, or until beef is very tender.
- Discard bay leaf. Slice meat and arrange on platter surrounded by vegetables. Serve with pot juices.
Deliocious, was the main course on valentines day for my wife and 3 girls.... Used a dutch oven on the stove...Followed recipe to the "T".. Excellent..
This roast was very tender. The best I've ever had! I tossed it in the crockpot and added the raw veggies about 5 hours later, turned the heat to high to finish it. It was very yummy and so easy!
Very nice, very rich, kids ate it. I am happy! ;-)