Prep 6 hrs
Cook 10 mins
A retro dessert for today's rushed lifestyles. Perfect for summer, this refrigerator dessert is quick, easy, delicious and can be made the day before. From "Ice Box Pies" by Lauren Chattman. Prep time includes chilling.
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 5 cups fresh blueberries or 5 cups frozen blueberries, defrosted
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 prepared 9 inch shortbread pie crusts or 1 graham cracker crust
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth.
- In a medium saucepan, combine 3 cups blueberries, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Stir in cornstarch mixture and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Cook another 2 minutes, remove from heat and stir in butter and remaining 2 cups of berries.
- Pour into crust, cover with plastic wrap and chill 6 hours or until set.
A little too much cinnamon I thought. Good treat to store away in the freezer. I used a regular pie crust, so maybe that was the problem.
This is one of my favorite summertime pies! A must try for blueberry lovers!
(I do adjust the water usually to 1/2c. depending on thickness of cooked berries)
Very easy and tasty. I left out the cinnamon and nutmeg and added 1/4 more cup water since it was too thick. I also added 1 tbsp lemon juice. It is so good, I served it with whipped cream, and everyone loved it. Thanks for a quick and easy recipe that tastes great!