Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 mins
This is a Paula Dean recipe and believe it's the very one that's served at her restaurant, Lady and Sons. The mango salsa is optional, but boy-oh-boy is it good!
- 1⁄4 cup sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (or less if desired)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 4 (10 ounce) tilapia fillets
- cilantro-lime mayonnaise, recipe follows
- mango salsa, recipe follows
- 4 kaiser rolls or 4 French baguettes, split buttered and toasted
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 mangoes, peeled and diced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 1 small orange bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 small red onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lime, juiced
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- In a shallow dish, combine the paprika, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and red pepper.
- Pour the melted butter in another shallow dish.
- Dip the fish fillets in the melted butter, then coat with the seasoning mixture. Cook the prepared fish, in batches if necessary, until the fish flakes easily with a fork, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Spread the Cilantro-Lime Mayonnaise evenly over the toasted buns. Place the blackened fish on the bottom half of the bun, top with Mango Salsa, and cover with the top half of the bun.
- For the Cilantro-Lime Mayonnaise: In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients. Cover and chill.
- For the Mango Salsa: Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl, tossing gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate.