Recipe by Annie H
This was inspired by PetitFour's Carolina's Buttermilk Biscuits #52198. I needed a make-ahead biscuit mix so I adapted this fabulous recipe to my needs. For fresh biscuit snobs, you will be amazed by PetitFour's biscuits. The texture, aroma, and flavor are amazing. Mine are in a lesser caste, but still (according to DH) quite tasty.
Top Review by raisdbywolvz
Super easy and super good! I've been looking for a recipe that uses butter instead of shortening. This is now the house biscuit recipe! Like the other 2 chefs commenting, I used a blend of all-purpose flour and whole wheat pastry flour, a cup and a half of each. The biscuits are beautiful, nicely textured and yummy. Thanks for such a good recipe!
- 3 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon powdered milk
- 3⁄4 cup butter, cold
- 1 extra large egg, slightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Store and label.
- Keep in cool, dark place.
- Will keep 2-3 months.
- To make:.
- Chop butter into dry ingredients until it resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- Beat egg with water.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients.
- Turn onto lightly floured surface and knead 5-6 times.
- Roll 1/2 inch thick and cut into two 5 inch diameter circles.
- Bake in preheated oven at 400°F for 10 minutes.