Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
It's so easy to make and is just one of those feel good recipes. Sticks to the ribs and warms you up kind of meal. I have a wonderful electric 8 quart dutch oven that I make this in but you can use any kind.
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large green pepper, sliced into med.slices
- 1 large onion, sliced into med. slices
- 3 lbs stewing beef, cut into pieces
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms (optional)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons lawry seasoning salt
- 2 red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 (15 ounce) cans beef broth
- 3 (15 ounce) empty beef broth cans water
- In large dutch oven place 1/3 cup vegetable oil. get oil hot. Place the flour and all spices into gallon baggie and shake. Then place meat into baggie and shake until coated well. Once oil is nice and hot put garlic into pan and let cook about 1 minute. Then place all beef into dutch oven. Let that cook about 7-10 minutes. You want to get the flour on the beef nice and brown. So stir the beef a couple of times. Then pour in broth and water, sliced onions and peppers. Cover and let boil for 1 hour stirring occasionaly. Then turn down to simmer and let simmer for 1 1/2 hours. when only a half hour left of cooking, slice and toss in the fresh mushrooms. Serve with white rice, potatoes, or even penne pasta!
This recipe is so delicious. My whole family loved it. This is going to be one of my recipes I make all the time. Thank you for sharing.
This was real good with changes I made. I cut the recipe in half as I only had a pound of meat. I didn't add the green pepper. flour, parsley, or red pepper flakes. I browned the onions, garlic and beef but I didn't use oil. I added 1/2 tablespoon of seasoning salt and 1/2 tablespoon of onion powder to the above mixture. I used six cups of broth and used instant potato flakes to thicken up the gravy. I also added 8 ounces of mushrooms. This was real good and easy to make.I served over egg noodles but think I would have liked it better over rice.
This is a very good recipe. The only thing I would change is the amount of seasoning salt. It was too salty for us and I'd cut the salt in half next time. I also didnt need to cook as long as the recipe said. I boiled for an hour and simmered for 30-45 mins. The meat was tender and the sauce thick. Other than that, tasted great!