Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Cooking Light 2005
- firm white bread (such as Pepperidge Farm)
- 1⁄3 cup minced fresh onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped cremini mushroom
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground turkey
- cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup julienne-cut yellow bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup julienne-cut orange bell pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 cups chopped seeded plum tomatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 1⁄2 cup tomato juice
- 1⁄4 cup quartered pitted kalamata olive
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces uncooked penne (about 2 cups tube-shaped pasta)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- To prepare meatballs, place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until fine crumbs measure 1/2 cup. Combine breadcrumbs, 1/3 cup onion, and next 8 ingredients (1/3 cup onion through turkey); stir well to combine.
- Lightly coat hands with cooking spray. Shape turkey mixture into 20 (1-inch) meatballs. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400° for 12 minutes or until done; cover and keep warm.
- To prepare sauce, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 3/4 cup onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add bell peppers and 1/4 teaspoon salt; sauté 2 minutes.
- Add tomato and next 6 ingredients (tomato through black pepper); bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 13 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Stir in basil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add meatballs; stir to coat.
- To prepare pasta, while sauce cooks, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan; add 1/8 teaspoon salt and pasta. Cook 10 minutes or until al dente; drain. Serve meatball mixture over pasta.