Cooking Light 2005
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- firm white bread (such as Pepperidge Farm)
- 1/3 cup minced fresh onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cremini mushroom
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 lb lean ground turkey
- cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup julienne-cut yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup julienne-cut orange bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 cups chopped seeded plum tomatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 1/4 cup quartered pitted kalamata olive
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2To prepare meatballs, place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until fine crumbs measure 1/2 cup. Combine breadcrumbs, 1/3 cup onion, and next 8 ingredients (1/3 cup onion through turkey); stir well to combine.
- 3Lightly coat hands with cooking spray. Shape turkey mixture into 20 (1-inch) meatballs. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- 4Bake at 400° for 12 minutes or until done; cover and keep warm.
- 5To prepare sauce, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- 6Add 3/4 cup onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add bell peppers and 1/4 teaspoon salt; sauté 2 minutes.
- 7Add tomato and next 6 ingredients (tomato through black pepper); bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 13 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- 8Stir in basil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add meatballs; stir to coat.
- 9To prepare pasta, while sauce cooks, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan; add 1/8 teaspoon salt and pasta. Cook 10 minutes or until al dente; drain. Serve meatball mixture over pasta.
Browse Our Top Low Sat. Fat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Sat. Fat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bell Pepper and Tomato Penne With Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (267 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 419.4
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 87.9 mg
- Sodium 749.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 20.1 g