1/3 Photos of Beef of Eye-Round Roast
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Alan Leonetti's Note:
This type of roast can be gotten from the butcher in the meat department at the supermarket. This recipe can also be used on other types of beef roasts. It is DELICIOUS!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -5 lbs beef eye round
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons au jus mix
- 4 tablespoons au jus mix (for sauce)
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (from jar)
- 2 teaspoons minced onions or 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary (crushed)
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons salt (for searing)
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons black pepper (for searing)
- 100% extra virgin olive oil (for searing)
- 1Thoroughly rinse the roast and pat dry with paper towel.
- 2Salt and pepper the roast on all sides for searing.
- 3Cover the bottom of a roasting pan with olive oil and set on medium-high heat about 4 minutes until very hot.
- 4Wearing a long sleeve shirt and oven gloves (so that you do not get splashed with hot oil), place roast into hot roasting pan and sear on all sides until nicely browned and about 1/2 cup of fat has rendered, which should take a total of about 6 to 8 minutes.
- 5If you do not get 1/2 cup of fat rendered, that is okay.
- 6Set a wire rack in another roasting pan, and then set the roast onto the rack.
- 7Pour the water over the roast, making sure that it covers the bottom of the roasting pan, and then pour the wine over the roast.
- 8Brush roast with Dijon mustard.
- 9Smear 1 tablespoon of minced garlic from jar onto top of roast.
- 10Season again with salt and pepper, and then sprinkle the rest of the seasonings evenly, including 4 tablespoons of Au Jus Powder and then place the 3 bay leaves on top.
- 11Place roast, uncovered, in the middle of the oven that has been pre-heated to 325 degrees F. for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until roast is almost done.
- 12If you desire it to be medium-rare, remove from oven when it is rare.
- 13If you desire it to be medium, remove from oven when it is medium-rare.
- 14After removing from oven, tent with aluminum foil.
- 15Allow to stand for 10 to 15 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute themselves evenly throughout the roast, and for the roast to complete its cooking to your desired doneness.
- 16Set the roast onto a cutting board and carve.
- 17Place all of the juices, including the 1/2 cup of fat rendered from the initial searing process and 4 tablespoons of Au Jus powder into a gravy boat to serve as the au jus sauce or gravy.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef of Eye-Round Roast
Serving Size: 1 (256 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 532.3
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 201.4 mg
- Sodium 7656.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 80.0 g