Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Chinese Cooking Class cookbook. A nice version of chow mein.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs rump roast, trimmed
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon satay sauce
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 4 ounces mushrooms
- 1 large red pepper
- 4 ounces bean sprouts
- 12 ounces Chinese egg noodles
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- Remove and discard fat from meat. Cut meat across the grain into thin slices. Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon sherry, and the satay sauce in plastic bag. Mix together. Mix in meat. Let stand 1 hour.
- Cut celery into 1/2-inch diagonal slices. Peel onions, cut into wedges and separate layers. Clean and slice mushrooms. Remove seeds from pepper and cut pepper into thin strips. Rinse sprouts and drain.
- Cook noodles until tender according to package directions. Drain well. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in wok over medium-high heat. Add noodles and 1 tablespoon soy sauce. Stir-fry until noodles are light brown, 2 minutes. Place noodles on serving plate. Keep warm.
- Blend water, cornstarch, oyster sauce, bouillon, remaining 2 1/2 tablespoons sherry and 1 tablespoon soy sauce.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in wok. Stir-fry onions in oil 1 minute. Add celery, mushrooms, pepper, and sprouts. Stir-fry 2 minutes. Remove vegetables from wok.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in wok over high heat. Add meat and stir-fry until meat is brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in water mixture. Cover and cook 3 minutes.
- Return vegetables to wok. Cook and stir until hot throughout, 1 to 2 minutes. Spoon mixture over noodles.