Recipe by mommyoffour
You can use this broth for anything from soups to rice to whatever you can imagine. I really like the taste of this broth, I usually make a big batch and freeze it until I need it.
- 4 lbs soup bones with meat
- 3 carrots, cut up
- 2 medium onions, cut up
- 2 stalks celery & leaves, cut up
- 8 sprigs fresh parsley
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon dried basil or 1 tablespoon thyme, crushed
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 10 1⁄2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Place soup bones in a large shallow roasting pan.
- Bake in a 450 oven about 30 minutes or till well browned, turning once.
- Place soup bones in a large pot.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the water into roasting pan, scraping up crusty browned bits.
- Add water mixture to pot.
- Add carrots, onions, celery, parsley, black peppercorns, basil, bay leaves, garlic, and salt.
- Add rest of water and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 3 1/2 hours.
- Remove soups bones.
- Strain broth.
- Discard vegetables and seasonings.
- If using broth while hot, skim fat.
- Or chill, then lift off fat.
- Refrigerate broth and any reserved meat in separate covered containers up to 3 days or freeze up to 6 months.