Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a modification of a recipe that I found right here on food.com (#31988). An Italian friend from Brooklyn told me about starting with anchovies; I figured out how much tomato paste to add. Sometimes I throw in a handful of small whole-grain macaroni, if I can't find any decent bread (we live in a small town, and I'm not one for baking).
- 2 anchovies (or 3 small ones)
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans
- 1 head escarole
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste, heaping
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- parmesan cheese, grated (or Romano)
- Wash escarole well and chop leaves in half.
- Saute anchovies, onion, and garlic in oil in medium size pot until slightly brown, breaking up the anchovies as you go along.
- Slowly add chicken broth stirring well.
- Add tomato paste.
- Add one can of beans with juice and one can without, escarole, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes on med-low heat.
- Serve in bowls and top with cheese.
- Serve with fresh bread for dipping.