Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Taken from Cooking Light, this soup is delicious made the night before to allow time for its flavors to develop. Serve the soup with crusty bread, crackers, or Spicy Whole-Wheat Pita Chips.
- 473.18 ml chopped onions (about 1 large)
- 453.59 g chuck steak, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 354.88 ml chopped peeled carrots (about 4)
- 236.59 ml chopped celery (about 4 stalks)
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 236.59 ml uncooked pearl barley
- 1182.95 ml fat-free less-sodium beef broth
- 473.18 ml water
- 118.29 ml no-salt-added tomato puree
- 2.46 ml kosher salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chopped onion and beef to pan; cook 10 minutes or until onion is tender and beef is browned, stirring occasionally. Add chopped carrot and chopped celery to pan; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic; cook 30 seconds. Stir in barley and remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes or until the barley is done and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaves.
Great for a nice fall day. Loved the hint of tomato with the flavors of beef and barley.
Excellent soup! I used regular beef broth and tomato paste in place of puree. This had lots of barley and meat and the taste was super. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT 6.