Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I inherited a old recipe from a family friend for a traditional (read unhealthy) zucchini and set about fixing it and making it just a bit different. I use cherries as I spent my summers in Northern Michigan eating the cherries right off the trees but feel free to mix it up according to your tastes - my sons favorite is cherry and chocolate chip and my husband prefers chocolate pecan. The recipe can handle up to 2 cups of "add-ins"
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup soy oil or 1⁄4 cup canola oil or 1⁄4 cup blended vegetable oil
- 3⁄4-1 cup sugar (I have used all kinds including natural fruit derived sugars and they all work, amount of sugar is u)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine eggs, applesauce, oil, sugar, zucchini, and vanilla in a bowl and mix until well blended.
- Add in flour, baking soda and powder, salt, and cinnamon and mix until just combined.
- Fold in dried cherries and pecans (if using).
- Pour into 2 8 X 5 loaf pans or 24 lined muffin cups.
- Bake 15-20 minutes for muffins or 25-30 minutes for loaves - be sure not to over bake!
- Let cool in pans 5 minutes and then remove to a rack to cool completely for eat warm.