1 hr 10 mins
Good with meats and curries and lovely as a gift.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups vinegar (I use cider)
- 6 -7 ripe bananas, chopped
- 1 lb onion, chopped
- 7 ounces dates, stones removed and chopped
- 4 ounces dried prunes, stones removed and chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 1 coarsely grated carrot
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 10 ounces brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dried shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1Except for the coconut and the rum put all the other ingredients in a large pan, mix well, put on the stove and bring to the boil, stirring at regular intervals.
- 2Leave to simmer for approx 20-25 minutes, dont forget to stir, and then add the coconut and the rum.
- 3Cook for another 10 minutes until the chutney has thickened and turned a dark color Remove the cinnamon stick.
- 4Put into warm clean jars, seal, and label when cold.
- 5Let mature for at least 4 weeks and keep in a cool dark place.
Browse Our Top Chutneys Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana Chutney
Serving Size: 1 (2506 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 603.7
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 505.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 143.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.6 g
- Sugars 110.8 g
- Protein 4.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: