Moist and dense and no nuts! This is always my husband's birthday cake. (And great for breakfast too! But you didn't hear me say that.)
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) box cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 50 ml Bourbon (an airline bottle)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease and flour two 8" round pans.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour, soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, white sugar and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Mix in bananas*.
- Add flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk to the creamed mixture.
- Pour into cake pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, make frosting: beat butter and cream cheese until smooth, then add powdered sugar and Bourbon- if the amount of booze scares you, add less, or use bourbon flavoring.
- *Wefreeze overripe bananas- when it's time to use them, we place them in a cup of hot water for just a few minutes, and they slide right out of their peel.
- Once the cakes cool, frost them- the cake (stacked) is pretty heavy and dense, so don't expect a tall fluffy cake.
- Stays moist for days if covered properly.
These are awesome! Needed something easy for thanksgiving to go with hostess' pumpkin and cherry pies. Had bourbon on hand, not to mention bananas, and figured, what the heck! Very easy, quick, and delicious! Wonderful! (too much tasting the icing, perhaps?)
This is a lovely, dense and moist cake that is bursting with banana flavor! I think it was even better on the second day. I halved the recipe and made a single layer cake. The frosting is lighter than most cream cheese frostings, but very rich and flavorful with the bourbon.
I am only going to rate the cake because I didnt make the frosting I have a friend who is pregnant and can't have the booze. I used a whiskey sauce from another recipe.Bread Pudding Souffle With Whiskey Sauce which was really good over the cake and ice cream. The cake is a dense, delicious banana cake. It takes minutes to prepare and 30 minutes to bake. My husband is a banana loaf fan and loved the cake. Next time I will make the frosting with the bourbon. Thanks for a keeper.