Moist and dense and no nuts! This is always my husband's birthday cake. (And great for breakfast too! But you didn't hear me say that.)
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) box cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 50 ml Bourbon (an airline bottle)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease and flour two 8" round pans.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour, soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, white sugar and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Mix in bananas*.
- Add flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk to the creamed mixture.
- Pour into cake pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, make frosting: beat butter and cream cheese until smooth, then add powdered sugar and Bourbon- if the amount of booze scares you, add less, or use bourbon flavoring.
- *Wefreeze overripe bananas- when it's time to use them, we place them in a cup of hot water for just a few minutes, and they slide right out of their peel.
- Once the cakes cool, frost them- the cake (stacked) is pretty heavy and dense, so don't expect a tall fluffy cake.
- Stays moist for days if covered properly.