Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I got a similar recipe of this a long time ago, got bored with it back then, and changed some ingredients. My husband and daughter get so excited when we're gonna have this for dinner. I don't measure some things, so if you need me to explain further, let me know. The liquid is so good that I keep sipping it! HA!
- 907.18 g chicken thighs, with skin on
- 236.59 ml light brown sugar
- 59.14 ml Coke or 59.14 ml Sprite
- 29.58 ml fresh crushed garlic
- 158.51 ml vinegar (mix balsamic & red wine vinegar equally to make 2/3 cup)
- black pepper
- 29.58 ml light soy sauce
- white rice or pasta
- Put the first 7 ingredients in a crock pot and cook for 4-5 hours on LOW.
- Cook the rice or pasta separately.
- When chicken is done, remove the bones and skin and throw them away.
- Put either rice or pasta in a bowl and then ladle the Balsamic Chicken on top with some of the liquid from the crock pot.
Outstanding flavor. After reading other reviews I decided to make extra sauce. I used 1/2 cup Pepsi and thickened the sauce with some cornstarch and chicken broth after everything was done cooking. Only other change I made was to add a pinch of ground ginger and maybe a teaspoon of siracha sauce. Dee...lish!
Excellent, simple dish! Love that there are only a handful of ingredients. I used 3/4 cup of balsamic vinegar (and ombit the red wine vinegar since I did not have any) and used 2/3 cup brown sugar. Was planning on using 3/4 cup as another reviewer had mentioned, but I only had 2/3 cup left. This was wonderful. I also used 1/4 cherry Pepsi (because I did not have any other soda around). I also salted the chicken before placing it in the crock pot. I also added a bag of frozen vegetables. Served this over rice and savored it! This makes a lot of sauce, but you could just add cornstartch to thicken it or boil it on the stove. But I just left it to add to the rice.
This was an easy weeknight dinner. The sauce was a good blend of sweet and tangy, but a little too greasy. I would try this again but skin the chicken thighs prior to cooking. Thanks for sharing the recipe.