Recipe by SusieQusie
From Gourmet magazine. Posted for Zaar World Tour II
Top Review by boomerthepug
This worked great roasted! The veggies don't mush up, and the flavors combine together beautifully. Mix everything in a casserole dish (except the cheese), cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. I used balsamic instead of red wine vinegar to add the tiniest bit of sweetness. Instead of the feta, I topped with about 1 c. mozzarella and 1/4 c. parmesan cheese and baked for another 10 min. Delicious!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 large eggplant, diced (unpeeled)
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 ounces diced feta cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in a heavy, large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic; stir 1 minute.
- Add eggplant, green bell peppers, tomatoes, onion, zucchini and basil. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Cover and simmer until all vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes.
- Uncover pot and simmer until juice thickens, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in vinegar; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread in 9-inch pie dish.
- Sprinkle with cheese, if desired.
- Bake until heated through, about 20 minutes.