Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
From Gourmet magazine. Posted for Zaar World Tour II
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 large eggplant, diced (unpeeled)
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 ounces diced feta cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in a heavy, large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic; stir 1 minute.
- Add eggplant, green bell peppers, tomatoes, onion, zucchini and basil. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Cover and simmer until all vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes.
- Uncover pot and simmer until juice thickens, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in vinegar; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread in 9-inch pie dish.
- Sprinkle with cheese, if desired.
- Bake until heated through, about 20 minutes.
This worked great roasted! The veggies don't mush up, and the flavors combine together beautifully. Mix everything in a casserole dish (except the cheese), cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. I used balsamic instead of red wine vinegar to add the tiniest bit of sweetness. Instead of the feta, I topped with about 1 c. mozzarella and 1/4 c. parmesan cheese and baked for another 10 min. Delicious!
Pretty good. A little quicker than my other ratatouille recipe. The feta adds a nice extra flavor.
I found this on foodnetwork.com about a year and a half ago. Since then they have removed it from their website. I was happy to find it again. It is easy to make, healthy, and tastes great! I make this recipe all the time. Definitely a keeper!