- 8 ounces dry penne pasta
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine or 1⁄4 cup tomato juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup sliced pitted ripe olives
- 1⁄2 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, combine undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, wine or tomato juice, dried oregano, pepper and crushed red pepper. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef and onion until meat is brown. Drain off fat. Stir tomato mixture into meat mixture in skillet. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in cooked pasta, and olives.
- Divide the pasta mixture among six 10 to 12 ounce individual casseroles. Bake, covered, for 15 minutes. (Or spoon all of the pasta mixture into a 2-quart casserole. Bake, covered to 30 minutes). Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, about 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted.