Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
One of my Mom's recipes. She got years ago from the Ontario milk board. My dad loves to fish and they often use pickerel fillets for the fish. My mom also uses her homemade chili sauce. It is one of the only main dish fish recipes that my kids will eat, it is delicious!
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup chili sauce
- 3 cups rice, cooked
- 1 lb thin fish fillet
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- Heat the butter or oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook until tender and fragrant, about 4 minutes. Add celery and peppers. Cook for about 3 more minutes. Be careful not to let it brown.
- Stir in the flour and cook 3 minutes longer.
- Add the milk and let it come to a boil. Season it with the salt and pepper and Tabasco sauce. Add the chili sauce. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Place rice in bottom of a buttered 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Arrange the fish fillets on top of the rice in a single layer. Place sliced tomatoes evenly over the fish and then pour the sauce over the top.
- Bake at 400°F for 2o minutes or until the fish is just cooked.