photo by Bergy
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 - 2 lbs halibut steaks
- fresh ground pepper or course ground pepper
- 3 tomatoes, peeled,seeded,and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (de-seeded to reduce heat, if you need to)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or 1 teaspoon your favorite hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly butter a shallow baking dish large enough to place fish in one layer.
- Salt and pepper fish steaks, place in baking dish.
- Mix together tomato, green pepper, onion, and jalapeno and top each fish steak with mixture.
- Melt butter and mix in lemon juice and tabasco, then drizzle over each fish steak.
- Bake approx 25 minutes, basting w/ pan juices about every 10 minutes.
- NOTE: If I have closer to 2 lbs of fish steaks, I will double the sauce mixture, but that's just preference!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I used some leftover homemade salsa (tomato, onion, cilantro, jalepeno, squeeze of lemon juice) in place of the chopped veggies, but added the melted butter and a squirt of hot sauce to this dish and .... I think it tastes awesome. My 4 and 2 year old did not care for this, but that may just be a fish bias on their parts. My husband said the flavor is good!
5 star all the way- I didn't use any butter (I would love itbut every little cut back helps) The chopped peppers, onion & tomatoe are so colorful and tasty. The recipe is a real eyecatcher and a taste tantilizer.. I used Mama Africa's Piri piri sauce. . Definite do again recipe 11Feb 10 Made again and enjoyed just as much!