Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a good casserole that can either be served as a main dish or as a side dish. This recipe was given to me by a friend.
- 6 ounces uncooked egg noodles
- 1 lb sliced bacon, diced
- 1⁄3 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Remove to paper towels to drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- In the drippings, saute green pepper, onion, salt, marjoram, thyme and pepper for 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the noodles.
- Add half of the bacon.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- Top with cheese and remaining bacon.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Looking for something new for our evening pasta meal,found this in one of the pasta cookbooks. We were very happy with the final results.I may add some garlic to give it a bit more bite. Wll be recorded for future use,thanks Don
Wow, this was wonderful! My husband is a huge bacon lover so I knew he would love it - he went back for more! I didn't have a green pepper, but it didn't seem to matter. I was out of marjoram as well, but the thyme, salt, pepper, and a little garlic powder flavored the can of yes, plain diced tomatoes, as I didn't have any stewed either. I used closer to 2 cups of cheese instead of 1 cup. I will use this recipe often! Oh, I baked the whole pack of bacon on foil lined half sheet pan in the oven - it does a great job, and so much easier. Thanks so much for a great casserole!