Recipe by HollyLQuinn
This is a vegetarian recipe I've come up with, simply because I usually don't have the salt pork or hamhock traditionally included on hand. It's still got plenty of flavor!
Top Review by Francine88
This recipe is wonderful! I use any greens I can get my hands on: Collards, kale, and the large leaves off of several vegetables! I don't use nearly the salt the recipe calls for and I use a hot corn and black bean salsa. Since I'm getting my CSA, I'm making a large pot and going to freeze portions (greens freeze very well after cooked!)
- 1 lb collard greens (or 1/2 collards, 1/2 kale)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup prepared salsa or 1 chopped tomato
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt, to taste
- hot sauce, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash greens in a colander.
- Chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Throw all ingredients into a large pot and cover.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, the reduce heat and simmer.
- Greens are done when they have shrunk down and are cooked through, usually about a half hour, but you can let it simmer much longer.
- Serve with its liquid.