Recipe by Marla Swoffer
A soupalicious spin-off of everyone's favorite party dip! Chunky artichoke hearts in a rich, velvety base of pureed spinach and artichoke hearts, accented by cheese and bacon (optional).
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped (I used red onion)
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup baby carrots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, quartered
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup milk (I used whole milk)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 4 ounces Laughing Cow cheese (original flavor)
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional, I microwaved them for 5 minutes)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion, celery and carrots in oil on medium heat until tender (about 7-10 minutes).
- Add garlic and saute for one minute.
- Add chicken broth, spinach, and half the artichoke hearts.
- Increase heat to medium-high and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and puree with stick blender (or in regular blender and return to pot).
- Add cream cheese, milk, soy sauce, and the other half of the artichoke hearts, stirring frequently until cheese is completely melted (about 3-5 minutes).
- Break up laughing cow cheese into smaller pieces and stir into soup until partially melted.
- Immediately remove from heat and serve topped with crumbled bacon and freshly ground black pepper.