Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
You could probably reduce the oil amount and add in more applesauce to reduce the fat :)
Top Review by mir1229
I found the brownies to have a nice moist/cake texture to them but found the flavour was lacking. I followed the recipe but followed the suggestion of putting the brownies in at 350 for 20 min which was a good amount of time. Unfortunately the brownies seemed to lack a nice chocolate taste to them and I felt like it could have used more sugar as well. Frosting them will probably help give them the sweetness they need. Sorry but not one of my favourites :(.
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup sifted unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar (half white and half brown sugar)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9-in square baking pan, or line bottom with wax paper, and grease.
- In a large bowl, combine the oil, applesauce and cocoa.
- Add sugar, stir with a wooden spoon, until dissolved.
- Add the eggs and vanilla, beat with spoon, until combined.
- Sift all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Stir into the applesauce/egg mixture.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured (or wax paper-lined) baking pan.
- Sprinkle the chopped nuts on top of the batter.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until top is set, but edges are not dried out.