Applebee's Cheese Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- Sauté oil, garlic and onions in large pan or Dutch oven until soft.
- Add ingredients 4 through 13. Bring to low boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Cut tortillas into 1/4-inch strips and fry in oil or spray with oil and bake at 400ºF (while soup is cooking). Sprinkle with salt if desired.
- Thoroughly mix flour and water, then whisk into soup. Bring to a low boil, then simmer 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream and cheese (more or less of each, depending on taste). Ensure 165ºF serving temperature.
- After serving soup, pile tortilla strips into a "haystack" shape on top of the soup.
- Optional: garnish with freshly chopped cilantro.