Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love Applebee's!
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon finely minced jalapeno pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 4 teaspoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 lb cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 cup cream
- 1⁄4 cup fat free sour cream
- 8 ounces processed cheese, 1-inch cubes
- 10 (6 inch) corn tortillas, 1/4-inch strips, fried
- fresh cilantro, roughly chopped (optional)
- Sauté oil, garlic and onions in large pan or Dutch oven until soft.
- Add ingredients 4 through 13. Bring to low boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Cut tortillas into 1/4-inch strips and fry in oil or spray with oil and bake at 400ºF (while soup is cooking). Sprinkle with salt if desired.
- Thoroughly mix flour and water, then whisk into soup. Bring to a low boil, then simmer 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream and cheese (more or less of each, depending on taste). Ensure 165ºF serving temperature.
- After serving soup, pile tortilla strips into a "haystack" shape on top of the soup.
- Optional: garnish with freshly chopped cilantro.
Love Love Love this soup!! It is a hit with my entire family and is requested often.
i got this recipe on line and my aunt made it for her church for soup night.even though i'am not a soup person but it was a very good soup try it you will be impressed delicious
My mother declares this heavenly. I thought it was very unique, but there was too much onion in it for me. It was probably the size of my onions; next time I'll use smaller ones. Thanks for the recipe, I'll definitely be using it again. :)