Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Old Ball Canning Book recipe--posted per request
- 2 quarts chopped cored, pared tart apples
- 2 lbs raisins
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 4 cups brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 hot red peppers
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 quart vinegar
- Combine ingredients; simmer until thickened about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Stir frequently as it thickens to prevent sticking.
- Pour boiling hot mixture into hot pint jars leaving 1/4-inch head space.
- Adjust caps and then process 10 minutes in boiling water bath.
- Note: For milder chutney an additional 1 quart of apples may be added.
Excellent and powerful flavor. I only made 1/16 of the recipe without the raisins - just enough to go on top of some Baked Brie for a holiday appetizer - served with crackers and apple slices. Couldn't get enough of it - thanks for sharing the recipe.
This is definitely a 5 star recipe. I can't wait to serve this chutney with a big, juicy ham. The flavour is excellent. I halved the recipe and used dried red pepper flakes instead of hot peppers, but otherwise didn't change a thing. Thank you!
The best appel chutney ever made !! great to any thing, easy to make