Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Another finger licking delight for you :-O
- 2 apples (tart green varieties work best)
- 3 onions, peeled and minced
- 3⁄4 cup vinegar, white
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, light
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon ginger, fresh,peeled and minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 green chilies
- Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Slowly bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Cool, cover, and store refrigerated until needed.
It was nice, but I'm not very fond of ginger, and the sweet-n-spicy tang the chutney had just didn't quite appeal to me. It's sort of a cross between apple jam and pickle. My friends liked it a lot, so I probably will make it again. I used it as a sandwich spread on bread for a packed lunch, and the bread didn't dry up as it normally does... a big, big plus...
This was my first attempt at making chutney and it is very very good! Tangy and tart with enough sweet to balance it. I used vidalia onions and was a little nervous about the apple to onion ratio but it's delicious! I used it in a curried chicken salad, fabulous! Thank you for posting it!
Not bad, but I found the onion flavor overpowered the flavor of the apples.