Recipe by Valerie Marie
This recipe has been a huge hit with everyone who has ever tried it. We make it almost weekly, and the leftovers are eaten immediately. It is also very healthy! It is a little spicy, so if you don't have too much of a tolerance for spicy foods, you may choose to leave out the seeds of the jalapeño. If you love spicy, like we do, extra cayenne pepper adds even more zing. Enjoy!
Top Review by Faux Chef Lael
DH, who considers himself a tortilla soup connoisseur, said "Baby, this is the best tortilla soup I have ever had, hands down." And then he helped himself to another huge bowl. :) I changed a few small things: 1 bag of frozen southwestern corn mix instead of plain corn; 1 can of green chilis instead of jalapeno; 1 can of tomato paste instead of tomato sauce; omitted the white wine; added a can of drained/rinsed black beans, 4 stalks of celery (chopped), 2 small zuchinnis (sliced thick) and a teaspoon of smoked paprika. Served with sour cream, chips and sliced avocado, then emailed the recipe to everyone I know. Everyone who has tried it, raves about it. Freezes very well. Freeze in portion-sized freezer safe bowls, then take to work and pop in the microwave for a fast, tasty lunch. This is a 10 star recipe. Healthy and delicious.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium green pepper
- 4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup non-fat tortilla chips (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onion, garlic, jalapeño and green pepper with olive oil in a large pot until soft.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients to the large pot and bring to a boil.
- After about 15 minutes, remove the chicken breasts and shred.
- (Two forks work well to pull the chicken apart!).
- Return shredded chicken to the pot and simmer an additional 45 minutes.
- Serve, topped with crushed tortilla chips if desired.