Fall Chicken Tortilla Soup
Tortilla soup as it should be.....trust me, everyone loves this....and it's from the Houston Jr. League "Stop and Smell the Rosemary".
- Ready In:
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 corn tortillas, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 large cooked chicken breast halves, shredded
- shredded monterey jack cheese
- diced avocado
- sour cream (optional)
- 2 corn tortillas, sliced and fried crisp (optional)
- In dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the tortillas, garlic, cilantro and onion, cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, bringing to a boil.
- Add cumin, chili powder and bay leaves.
- Add chicken stock and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Add salt and cayenne and simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and stir in shredded chicken.
- Garnish with Monterrey Jack cheese and avocado, and sour cream and fried tortillas if desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
see 127 more