Recipe by catalinacrawler
mexican meatball soup...fantastic!!
Top Review by UmmBinat
Using what I had on hand this was kind of plain tasting at least without the vegetables. I did add some chilli powder like another reviewer. I used rendered organic grassed beef fat instead of olive oil, organic onion, organic garlic, organic tomato sauce, organic canned plum tomatoes, homemade organic stock, cayenne pepper powder instead of diced green chilies or jalapeño, organic grass fed medium ground beef, white basmati rice, fresh wild mint from the garden, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, no egg, did add oregano as mentioned in the instructions but not ingredients list, garnished with organic cilantro but again it was not in the ingredients list and neither was lemon which I did not have so I stired in a little organic apple cider vinegar for a sour flavour.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (4 ounce) cansel pato salsa fresca or 2 (4 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 celery ribs, cut in chunks
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb string bean
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 1 jalapeno
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup raw white rice
- 1⁄4 cup mint leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and minced garlic and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add pato sauce (or tomato sauce if you cant find el pato), diced tomatos and broth. Bring to a low boil and add bay leaves, celery, string beans, green chilies and jalepeno.
- To prepare meatballs mix rice into meat, adding mint leaves salt and pepper.
- last add the egg, combine well.
- Form meat into 1 inch balls & lightly brown in a skillet to lock in juices.
- Return soup to a gentle simmer and add meatballs & zucchini.
- Cover and simmer for ½ hour.
- Add pinches of oregano and salt and pepper if needed.
- Garnish with cilantro & lemon juice.