Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Decadent! Everyone raves about this dish. So cheesey and full of flavor. Good southern comfort food. Wonderful with pork chops or fried chicken. Originally I got the base of this recipe from Nell Carter on some TV show. I had to spice it up a bit.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup gouda cheese, shredded
- 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 cup muenster cheese, shredded
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- Cook 2 cups macaroni noodles in salted boiling water for only about 6 minutes > do not over cook as they will continue to cook in the oven.
- While noodles are cooking: mix eggs, milk, cream cheese, melted butter and spices together in large mixing bowl.
- Drain noodles.
- Add noodles and all the shredded cheese to egg mixture.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 baking pan.
- Bake in a 325 degree oven for 45 minutes.
Sinfully delicious and cheesey! Even though it contains eggs, it's much creamier than other "custard-style" mac & cheese recipes. Lots of flavor, too. I used fresh minced onions rather than powder, otherwise made this as written. This recipe is a keeper! Thanx so much for posting this!
Wonderful recipe and Kate Plate is correct; it is completely flexible as far as type of cheeses and adjustment... I substituted goat cheese for swiss and did one additional cup of cheddar instead of the Muenster. Also, an AWESOME addition: I heated three tablespoons of butter in a pan, and added 3/4 cup breadcrumbs along with 1/2 cup finely chopped onion, and four minced garlic gloves until all were nicely browned. I sprinkled the crumb combo over the mac 'n cheese before baking. The nice crunch and garlic made a good recipe great. After it was prepared and on the table, I drizzled a little bit of truffle oil over it - WOW. DELISH... Heads up; I made this for my boyfriend and myself and it was WAY more than enough - really does fill a 9 x 13. With a side, this could probably feed four with everyone having seconds. Keeping this one!
Oh yes! I prefer the custard style Mac and Cheese. This really hit the spot. All I had was hot pepper monteray jack so I used this in place of the munster. I use swiss and extra sharp cheddar alone with a bag of mixed melting cheese. This was very good. I had it for the main dish instead of a side. Too good to just be a side.