Prep 5 mins
Cook 18 mins
Spice up a meal with Mexican rice, done in a jiffy!! from the local newspaper.
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 3⁄4 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green pea, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup cooked carrot, diced
- Cook rice in hot oil in 2 to 3 litre saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in onion and garlic; cook, stirring about 1 minute.
- Add broth and cumin.
- Heat to boiling; stir once or twice.
- Lower heat to simmer; Cover with tight fitting lid.
- Cook 15 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Combine tomato paste and 1 tablespoon water.
- Stir tomato mixture, peas and carrots into rice; fluff with a fork.
Very good, very easy way to make a more sophisticated rice. Also much healthier than buying Mexican-style rice from a packet (less sodium and fresher, etc.). Made this vegan by using vegetable broth and added the carrot while boiling the rice to make sure it was soft enough. Added another tablespoon of tomato paste so it covered/flavored all of the rice. Also added some smoked spanish paprika and taco seasoning for a kick!
great flavor in a light, fluffy rice. I only use Uncle Ben's. I did add the tomato paste to water BEFORE I added the rice, so the flavor soaked thru. Wasn't too spicey....so if you like it hot, you may need to kick it up a bit
this was quick and delish,i made it a one pot meal,by adding smoked sausage to it, i served this with cornbread and a salad